Sanitizing Technology in Your Home
Sanitizing technology in your home is something that people don’t think about but it is probably the most touched item in your home. Well, maybe second to the refrigerator. You have to be intentional about Sanitizing technology in your home. It doesn’t take long but you do have to remember to do it.
Think about it, what is one thing that is in your hands most of the day? That cell phone. You either have it right beside you while you are working and checking it often, or it is sitting on the counter at home and you look at it each time you pass by it. The cell phone is just one device in your home that is touched throughout the day.
Technology in your home
Here is a list of technology in your home. This is not a complete list but one that most homes would have.
- Entry keypad for door
- Garage door opener (also the one by the door to close the garage door)
- Alarm code pad.
- Answering Machine. (yes, there are homes that still have these)
- Google / Alexia / Bluetooth systems
- All Media remotes
- Cell Phones
- Landline phones
- Desktop computers/keyboards
- Video game consoles & controllers
- DVD players
- VHS Players
- Boom Box ( I just had to throw that one in)
All of these different items need to be sanitized often. We touch these often and most of the time, our hands have been many places and touched many things before touching this technology. The method to clean each of these is all the same, with the exception of the larger items.
With that said, let’s talk about how to sanitize technology in your home.
Methods to Sanitize technology in your home.
The overall concern that you need to pay attention to when Sanitizing technology in your home is to not saturate the technology. Most technology will not handle a lot of liquid on the device or unit.
Simple and convenient. Clorox wipes. Clorox wipes are always a good option if you are wanting a quick and easy way to sanitize your technology in your home. Keep a tube of wipes in areas where your technology lives in your home.
The playroom near the Video game consoles and controls. Keep some in the kitchen near the alarm pad and the cell phones. Even keep some in a basket in the living room where you have your laptops and remotes.
The method to use the wipes is to wipe the devices completely and let the Clorox dry on the devices. This is what kills the germs. Pay attention and don’t get liquid in any of the charging ports or the speakers.
This is probably my favorite method. I try to not use chemicals if I don’t have to. So, I love using Rubbing alcohol as much as possible.
You can do this a couple of different ways, but this method is my favorite.
- Get a Rubbermaid or cool whip bowl, it doesn’t matter, you can go fancy or you can just use what you have to repurpose. It just needs to be a container with a lid that seals.
- Pack the container with cotton balls.
- Pour rubbing alcohol into the container to saturate the cotton balls.
- Close the container and let the cotton balls absorb the liquid.
- When you go to sanitize technology in your home, open the container and remove a cotton ball. You can squeeze the cotton ball over the container to remove excess liquid from the cotton ball.
- Use the cotton ball to clean your technology. I use one cotton ball per phone and then throw it away. Do not reuse the cotton balls.
- Cut up an old t-shirt, old towels, or washcloths into 4 X 4 squares. This is a great way to repurpose your old items.
- Place the squares into a sealable container.
- Mix in a separate bowl the following:
- Stir together
- Pour over the wipes.
- Ring out wipes before using them. Let the solution dry on the devices
- Be sure not to put too much solution on the devices. Follow instructions for how much liquid can be used.
- Wash the wipes and return to your solution to reuse.
This method is great as well. I like this method just because it is a paper towel that you know will be easy to use when sanitizing the technology in your home. A great alternative to Clorox wipes.
- Cut a roll of paper towel in 3rds. This will give you 3 mini rolls of paper towel.
- Remove the core out of the paper towel.
- Pull the paper towel up from the middle of the roll This will be like a wet wipe coming up out of the container.
- Place the roll in a container that will seal and be snug around the roll. I love using an old sugar container or canister.
- Mix the following together.
- Pour over the roll of paper towel.
- Close the container and rotate back and forth to get the roll completely saturated. You can let it sit overnight and the roll will absorb the liquid as well.
These 4 methods are great to use to sanitize your technology in your home. It will take some time to get into a habit of cleaning your devices. If you need reminders, place an alarm on your phone to help you remember or an appointment on your calendar. It is important to sanitize, so make it an important task during your day.
Did you read how to sanitize the High TouchPoints in your home? You can jump over by using this link.