Christmas is a time for friends and family to come together and celebrate the holidays. But, hosting Christmas dinner can be stressful! This guide will help you host the perfect Christmas dinner with tips on decorations, meal ideas, and more. You’ll also find some great resources that will make your life easier this holiday season!
The holidays are a time for family, friends, and good food. If you’re hosting Christmas dinner this year, then you want to make sure it’s perfect! You can’t go wrong with these tips on how to host a perfect Christmas dinner.
What Makes The Perfect Christmas Dinner?
What makes the perfect Christmas Dinner? When you think Christmas, what do you envision? Is it a magical scene with snow falling and the fire roaring as everyone sits around singing Christmas carols? Or is your perfect Christmas Dinner one where there’s laughter and good memories shared over cheers of eggnog by candlelight?
No matter how idyllic or casual Christmas dinner gets, there are some Christmas dinner essentials that will make your Christmas Dinner perfect.
Christmas dinner doesn’t have to be complicated!
In fact, it’s pretty easy to plan the perfect Christmas dinner. While you can make a simple menu of ham and potatoes if that is what your family enjoys, Christmas is all about spending time with loved ones! You want everyone to feel welcome at your Christmas meal.
Christmas dinner can be as simple or extravagant as you want it to be. For Christmas dinner, I typically choose a main dish that can be made ahead of time the day before. This way you have less to worry about on Christmas Day when you are hosting your guests! However, if cooking isn’t something you want to stress over during the holidays, there are plenty of options for take-out or catered Christmas dinners that will make Christmas Day a breeze.
If you’re hosting Christmas dinner, your guests will appreciate it if you have all of their drinks stocked including wines, ciders, juices, and other beverages they enjoy. If you want a non-alcoholic option available as well, Christmas punches are always popular! You can make them the day before and enjoy Christmas punch all night.
Host a Christmas Dinner Tips
- Make sure there are plenty of seating available. Christmas dinner is a time to spend with loved ones so make sure you have enough seating for everyone at your Christmas party.
- It’s important to set aside an area for guests to put down their coats or outerwear that may get wet from snow or other elements.
Open your door
Christmas is a time for friends and family! Christmas Dinner is the perfect opportunity to invite some people over that you may not always see during the year. Having an open-door policy and inviting anyone who wants to come will make your guests feel more welcome. When you host a perfect Christmas dinner, don’t let the stress and pressure cause you to miss out on serving others around you that might not have a place to go.
Christmas Party Decorations
The perfect Christmas dinner creates a warm atmosphere that is decorated for the holiday season! You can go as simple or extravagant with your Christmas decorations as you like! I always opt to keep my Christmas tree up until New Year’s Day.
You’ll want the Christmas decorations up before guests arrive! You don’t have to go overboard, but having some Christmas decor around will help get people into the holiday spirit when they arrive at your home. If there are children attending your Christmas dinner, make sure there is a Christmas tree for them to enjoy.
There are many different Christmas decorating ideas you can use to customize your holiday feel. You don’t have to spend a lot of money, either. I typically pair white Christmas lights with red ribbon garland and bows for our Christmas tree. For the table, I like using natural elements that give me Christmas cheer! I add Christmas greenery to the table and mix in some red candles for a simple DIY Christmas centerpiece.
Simple decorating is inviting and seems to make everyone feel relaxed as well.
Gift ideas for your guests
Don’t forget about Christmas gifts for your guests. When you host a perfect Christmas dinner, it’s a great time to go around the table and have everyone introduce themselves before digging into holiday cheer! You can give each guest a small gift or even present them all together as one group with something that is perfect for Christmas dinner like coasters.
Christmas dinner is a great time to introduce Christmas crackers as well. Christmas crackers are an easy way to bring some fun into the evening and they’re typically inexpensive! You can have everyone pull them at once or go around the table so each guest gets one. The idea behind Christmas Crackers originated from Victorian England where children would get Christmas Crackers with small Christmas presents inside.
Christmas Dinner Ideas
Food is always a key component of Christmas dinner! If you’re hosting, make sure there are enough dishes for everyone and that you have some vegan options if needed. Christmas dinners can be very hearty so try not to go overboard on the portion size or number of courses served throughout the night! There are some Christmas dinner recipes that you can’t go wrong with including Christmas ham, Christmas turkey, and Christmas prime rib.
Choose your Christmas Dinner Meal
- Christmas Ham. A Christmas ham is a staple for many families at Christmas time. This dish typically requires little preparation but will feed a lot of people so be sure to account for the size when purchasing your Christmas ham. Christmas hams can also easily be turned into Christmas leftovers so you have a number of delicious meals to look forward to when the holiday is over!
- Christmas Turkey. A Christmas turkey isn’t just for Thanksgiving, either! Having a Christmas turkey will add some variety and makes sure there are enough different dishes at your Christmas dinner table. Christmas turkey is typically served with stuffing and other sides like Brussel sprouts or green beans.
Turkey is typically easier to cook than a Christmas ham so if you are hosting Christmas dinner, consider having the Christmas turkey be your main dish for the night!
- Christmas Prime Rib. Another delicious meal at Christmas time is Christmas prime ribs! This dish requires a little more preparation but also has the benefit of being able to be prepped ahead of time so you. Christmas prime rib is typically served with Christmas potatoes and veggies like asparagus.
- Christmas Side Dishes. No Christmas dinner would be complete without a number of side dishes to go around the table! There are so many delicious options for Christmas sides that it’s sometimes hard to decide which ones you want at your Christmas dinner, but no matter what, Christmas sides are a must-have.
- Christmas Desserts. Of course, Christmas dinner wouldn’t be complete without Christmas desserts! There is no shortage of options when it comes to Christmas dessert recipes and chances are you’ve already got some in mind from previous years or from Pinterest! You can never go wrong with Christmas cookies or Christmas cake
Enjoy Hosting Your Perfect Christmas Dinner
Finally, Christmas dinner wouldn’t be complete without some fun Christmas traditions! There are so many different Christmas dinner traditions that it’s hard to pick just one or two each year but there is something for everyone no matter what you enjoy doing with your family during the holidays!
Christmas dinner can prove to be a lot of work but it’s definitely worth all the effort in the end! Make sure you have enough food and don’t forget about Christmas gifts for your guests. Don’t worry if things get crazy, either – Christmas dinner is an event where everyone knows they’re going to be having fun so enjoy yourself and make Christmas dinner memorable for everyone!
Enjoy your Christmas Dinner with your family and friends! Christmas dinner is a time to relax and enjoy your loved ones at home. Don’t stress about having the perfect Christmas, just make sure you have enough food for everyone!